What did God teach you in 2019?

Thought it would be fun and encouraging to share with each other what God taught us in 2019.

For me: we’re all a part of the body of Christ. Each of us has different gifts that we can use to glorify God and share the good news of Jesus.

This year, I undertook an internship with a university ministry in my home town. I benefited immensely from this ministry during my time at university, and after working for three years as a data scientist, I prayerfully deduced that the time was right to take a year off to pursue this internship. (I had been investigating doing something like this since 2013.)

As it turns out, the internship wasn’t for me, and I decided to stop after one year even though the program is two years. I’m someone that thrives with a lot of structure (e.g. see https://www.andrewjpfeiffer.com/sops for a list of my personal standard operating procedures), and working in student ministry is about as unstructured as you can get. Ten camps or trips away each year, different schedules depending on whether students are on campus or not, a fuzzy line between work and other aspects of life - all pretty crazy!

Nonetheless, I praise God for the opportunity to do the internship this year. I learnt so much about myself - including that I’m on the autism spectrum, which explains a lot - and I’m confident that God will use my learnings in the future. I also praise God that my data science employer gave me this year off to do the internship. In his kindness, God confirmed my decision to return to my previous role as a data scientist: I progressed to the interview stage of an application process for a promotion - even though I was away this year! - and I felt I did well in the interview. (I’m still waiting for the results of the interview.)

I’m really excited to go back to my previous job as a data scientist with a renewed sense of passion and purpose, and serve God in the workplace. There are many people in this mission field who do not yet know Jesus, and I get to use my skills in data science to work hard and shine the light of Jesus there!

Looking forward to what God has in store for 2020!

1 Like

Great question @Ajp123!

In the last four years I I feel like God has been doing a “fixer-upper” on me (no ship lap here). This year was a reminder that I don’t have it all together and my reliance on Him needs to be a daily activity. 2 Corinthians 12:10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I realized my striving for perfection (including trying to be perfectly productive) had crept back in and had the opposite effect. My productivity and drive went into reverse until about August.

Back on track and taking a fresh look at some productivity areas and “tweaking” the system.

1 Like

It’s very interesting to think about this question. Looking back at the past months, I think God wanted to teach me, how much he entrusts me with.¹ He has done so through feedback, conversations and encouraging actions by people. I sometimes ask myself, if I am “enough” to be a part in Gods kingdom. But over the last months, my confidence grew, that God wants me to be a part of his work. In the same breath it’s calming to know, that I don’t have to be perfect or save the world, because God has done so once and for all.

¹ English question: is the sentences marked with ¹ correct or at least understandable?

1 Like

For me, it was to trust God and not in my own ability. As soon as I said yes to what God wanted me too, breakthrough came. I still feel overwhelmed whenever I try to take control of things, but as long as I go to God first and do what He tells me (to the best of my ability) it all works.

Psalm 46:10 - “Be still and know that I am God.”

2 Likes