Relay FM & Real Productivity

The last several weeks, there have been a number of events that have seemed to line up for me:

1. I listened to Lifeonaire which got me thinking about what I really value in life
  2. Then Joe & I read The 4-Hour Workweek for Bookworm (which I disliked very much)
  3. We followed that up with The Second Mountain by David Brooks (which I liked very much)
  4. I attended (and was part of) the 5-year anniversary show for Relay in San Francisco

The live show was an amazing experience, and I got to meet and hang out with some incredible people (including @RosemaryOrchard who was our team captain for Family Feud and did an amazing job).

But I almost didn’t go.

Turns out, my wife (@Rachel) was emailing David Sparks behind my back and doing the prep work on what it would take to get me out there. If she hadn’t pushed it forward, I probably wouldn’t have gone.

And I would have missed out on an incredible experience with some incredible people.

Reflecting on the trip, I realize what I’ve known intellectually for a long time:

People are the reason for productivity.

I’m very fortunate that I was able to make the trip work, and that my wife was able to come with me and share the experience. This is the stuff that matters. Not a big house, not a fancy car - investing in the relationships with the amazing people I’m fortunate to have in my life.

The Second Mountain reminded me that my life purpose or vision has to be about people. I’m resolved to looking for ways to continue to build those relationships and prioritize the people over the systems and the things.

6 Likes