Is our focus on productivity what God had in mind?

I always wonder about this when I consider our modern manner of organizing our lives. I recognize there are Bible verses that say we should make the most of our time and that our modern take on this is “productivity”.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with focusing on productivity issues so we can make the most of our time (I see it as a need in my life to live my best for Jesus); but I wonder is this a modern phenomenon? Did the faithful of decades or centuries past deal with these issues? What did they do without cheap access to journals, calendars, timers, and GTD apps?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I recommend reading The True Vine by Andrew Murray. The book is a study on John 15 - He is the vine, we are the branches… productivity, efficiency and all the tools that go along with it are good, but if we don’t know our reason for doing it, have a vision, a destination and most importantly who we are connected to… it’s all rather meaningless. For believers, we have a good Father who has given us a plan and purpose, but we need to get the blueprint from Him and then apply the productivity tools to do what He’a called us to. That’s when we live life fully and on purpose.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I recommend Every Good Endavor by Timothy Keller.

Keller talks about the purpose of work and how you can use my skills in a way that has meaning and purpose.

2 Likes

Every Good Endeavour by Tim Keller is excellent.

I’d also recommend:

• What’s Best Next by Matt Perman, particularly for the first half of the book, where he unpacks the theology of productivity. @mikeschmitz and @joebuhlig did a Bookworm episode on it. I’m not such a fan of Perman’s actual systems, which he outlines in the second half of the book, but still worth a read.
  • Do More Better by Tim Challies.
1 Like