Hi, I'm JAWallace 👋

Why did you sign up for the Faith-Based Productivity community?

I recently moved to a new state and started a new job. I never realized how much I relied on systems I had created over the last few years until they were all upended by the changes. I’m trying to get organized to bring hopefully some calmness to my life that has been out of control lately. And I sometimes find it hard to apply some of the productivity advice I read online and am hoping to see the conversation here to help in real life application of the advice.

What is your church background?

I attend church weekly with my family but am otherwise not really involved much in it right now. If I am able to gain some margin in my life I’d like to get more involved and try to use the things I am good at to help out in whatever way I can.

What is your biggest struggle?

One is the aforementioned move. The second is that sometimes I will run down the rabbit hole of trying out new apps and systems rather than mastering the one that I have. My computer and Ipad are a graveyard of Apps only used a few times in a quest for that magic bullet. I realize that doesn’t exist but it often doesn’t stop me from trying. I’m trying to create a system I can commit to rather than jumping from system to system in a futile attempt to optimize.

What is your favorite book (and why)?

The Lord of the Rings (no productivity book is in my top 5)

Are you a Mac or a PC?

I’m a Mac

3 Likes

IT takes some time to rebuild the systems. I moved in December for a new job, it was from the midwest to the east cost. I am just starting to solidify new routines and systems. I feel like you will get a new rhythm soon.

The good news is it seems like you were able to optimize some things in a past job. Knowing what you’re working toward is a tremendous asset.

1 Like

I moved some six years ago, and found that the workflows had to change with my new settings but the time it took to implement them was much shorter with the experience gained previously.
All the best with your move and making time for the things that matter.

Welcome @JAWallace I think we all can relate to getting the latest shiny thing and then letting it collect dust. I have been making the hard choice of purging my iPhone and iPad of barely used apps and putting into folders those that have the same theme. I have been trying to master my apps I have been using but that doesn’t mean I don’t like to listen to podcasts or read articles about new stuff. I may download one to see if it would help but make the decision to either add because nothing currently exists or replace if one does. Thereby my net increase of apps is stable. All the best with the move and new job.

1 Like

Welcome @JAWallace :smile: When it comes to making new systems, my recommendation is to pick one problem at a time and solve it. The systems that stick are always built slowly over time.

And cut yourself some slack. It’s easy to think that you should have this stuff figured out by now. But we’re all on the same journey - just adjust and repair.

@JAWallace welcome! Adjust and repair, one task/problem/dilemma at a time… How do you eat an orange? One slice at a time.

Welcome, @JAWallace - don’t feel bad about looking for shiny new apps! After all, some of them are excellent, and it’s the job of the app developer (or their marketing department) to persuade you to purchase it.

Have you come across the book Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport? It’s an excellent reminder to only use the digital tools that are the best way of solving a given problem. After all, the apps are only a means to an end of solving a problem you might have - not the end in and of themselves.

1 Like

I agree with this statement. I am the same way. It is like I have an irrational fear that there is something better out there and I might miss out on what is best. I have to tell myself not to try this or that system. I may read about it but try not to get caught up in the new and shiny.

Rabbit holes… they are everywhere!!!

1 Like