Hi, I'm DougCowley 👋

Why did you sign up for the Faith-Based Productivity community?

I heard about FBP on the Focused podcast. I’ve been listening to Mike since he was on Asian Efficiency. It’s awesome to meet other productivity junkies, especially those who put Christ first. I’m looking forward to meeting others to learn, discuss, and help live our best life.

What is your church background?

I was born again in 1978 at the age of 11. I grew up regularly attending Presbyterian church with my family, but failed to keep Christ in the forefront in my early adult years. I’m now married with 3 daughters (1 still at home) and we regularly attend a Baptist church where I run our Upward Basketball Program and stream our weekly contemporary service on Facebook Live.

What is your biggest struggle?

I grew up in Florida and have always lived near the ocean. I love water and swimming. I can only guess that is why I find myself continually swimming in the “infinity pool”, rather that doing my “One Thing” that is most important. I love tech, especially “shiny” updates and new apps, although I always find myself returning to OmniFocus. I have a tendency to get caught up in the process rather than the action.

What is your favorite book (and why)?

“The Seven Decisions” or just about any other book by Andy Andrews.

Are you a Mac or a PC?

I’m a Mac

2 Likes

Welcome @DougCowley, love the OF reference, I too love the shiny tech objects but when it comes to the productivity apps, don’t like to change unless i’m struggling with the app (which is much different than me struggling) helping me to become a better version of myself.

Thanks @StanPHL. To avoid exposure to shiny object syndrome I limit myself to swapping out my primary apps to at least 3 months.

It’s great to have you! Faith is Christ is what motivates and centers my life continually. I hope that this community is a safe place of us all to share and help one another, iron sharpens iron after all.

2 Likes

Welcome @DougCowley :smile: Glad that you’re here, appreciate the kind words.

1 Like

Welcome, @DougCowley!

Does that mean health and exercise is your “One Thing?” :wink:

I’ve had this conversation a couple times at our church. “Should we stream our services live?” One of those concerns involves attendance. Do you find that live streaming the service keeps people from coming to fellowship with other believers?

Streaming services goes completely against my philosophy of church.

I don’t think churches are “wrong” to do it, but my view of church is a local gathering of believers who not only share the commonality of faith in Jesus Christ, but also meet together to care for one another and worship together. To stream a service means you lose out on almost every reason for the “church” service’s existence in the first place.

I know there are arguments to be made regarding people who are home-bound or “out of towners”, but I don’t see why waiting a day to post a service is significantly worse. :man_shrugging: :blush:

Hi Joe @joebuhlig

If only I could work out figuratively, right?!

We had the same concerns on streaming and attendance. It’s been a little over a year now and we haven’t noticed any significant decrease in attendance. A number of parishioners have expressed their appreciation when unable to attend. Online attendance has grown and we are seeing repeat viewers across the country, as well as Mexico and Europe.

I think it’s important to note that live streaming is just one of many ministries. It’s great that our congregation can benefit, but our primary purpose is to reach those we may not otherwise reach. So far the analytics look promising.

1 Like

Generally speaking, I would agree. Our church sees between 800-1,000 on a Sunday. I know more than a few families that wouldn’t come regularly if it could be streamed.

This is pretty much the main reason we want to do so. We’ve debated a private stream that requires a password and that password changes weekly. That would allow us to send it to our missionaries and take it retirement homes without impacting the broader congregation. But at what point is it worth that amount of work? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think you hit the nail on the head. It’s the classic juice versus squeeze analogy. We’ve only dedicated limited resources at this point. We are prepared to scale based on God’s plan :grinning:

We purchased a Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder ($145) to capture video, and a Focusrite Scarlett USB ($149) to capture audio. We already had a camera and camera controller. We use a Mac Mini running OBS (free open source). Our only software cost is a VST plugin ($59) to fine tune the audio. I’m currently a one-man team until I can train another volunteer, but I spend less than 30 mins a week beyond actual streaming time.

It’s been well worth our effort to this point.

2 Likes

We struggled with this question at our church too. In the course of debating it, we had a congregation member who was a longtime member bring up a debate that happened at the church in the 60s. There was an opening on a local radio station and an opportunity to broadcast the service.

This made me reflect that sometimes these questions we face can seem new, but that’s not always the case.

2 Likes

“History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new.” - Ecclesiastes 1:9 NLT

2 Likes