Hi, I'm andyupton 👋

Why did you sign up for the Faith-Based Productivity community?

Mike’s email. Want to learn how to link productivity and Christian faith

What is your church background?

Pastor of a UK Church

What is your biggest struggle?

Daily reviews

What is your favorite book (and why)?

GTD - helped me get things straight 10 years ago

Are you a Mac or a PC?

I’m a Mac

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @andyupton

Welcome, @andyupton!

As in you don’t do them? Or they don’t help?

I don’t do them Joe. My days are varied and so there is no set finish time. Might be 5pm one day 10pm another and so I just can’t seem to form a habit. And yet I know they’re important…

Welcome @andyupton :smile: I’m curious, since you mentioned you’re a pastor - what role does productivity play in your day-to-day with the church?

Have you tried doing them first thing in the morning? That’s when I have to do mine.

1 Like

Actually no! I’d always thought that it was a sort of tie up the day kind of thing and had to be done as you ended your working day.

Brilliant idea using the morning. That should work perfectly, I have a very clear morning routine, and it wouldn’t be hard to drop it in.

I’ll let you know how I get on!

Hi Mike, I guess for me productivity means learning to deal with the high level right down to ground level.

At high level I’m thinking about vision and mission statements…don’t find that easy. Then setting goals. Really helped by some thinking that you’ve been doing on the 12 week year. So I divide the year into Q1, 2, 3, 4 and then try and work out what my goals are for that period. Just coming to the end of Q2 now.

At a lower level I have to manage staff and seek to help them with productivity. That can be hard, especially when people think they are better than they are. Much easier to help someone who says, ‘Look I’m rubbish at keeping a diary, can you help?’ Also I have to keep reminding myself to do the stuff that only I can do. I’m way too easily drawn into the weeds.

Finally at ground level it’s a question of managing my working week. I learnt early to take a day off - so I can manage my time. Much harder to manage emotional energy so that I don’t come to my day off so exhausted that I can’t hold a conversation with my wife.

Also at ground level I’ve just started to use a hybrid system - thanks Justin Dirose and that has been working so well. Way too easy to put things on a digital list and then not look at them. Somehow it’s really natural to sit with a Moleskine and a cup of tea and just ponder.

Sorry long answer!

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more! I find myself reverting to physically writing lists or mind maps and feeling so much better just getting it all down and out of my head. The overwhelm of all the tasks leave as I simply put it on paper.

Hi @andyupton - welcome! I’m not a pastor, but I’m working as a trainee for a Christian group at a nearby university. Consequently, I look forward to hearing your wisdom :smile:.