Hi, I'm Ajp123 👋

Why did you sign up for the Faith-Based Productivity community?

I’m keen to figure out how to use the unique combination of gifts that God has given me to serve and glorify him. I’d love to discuss productivity-related theology with people, and meet other people who also want to use their passion for productivity to glorify God.

What is your church background?

I regularly attend a Bible-believing, evangelical church in Australia. I serve in various behind-the-scenes ways at church, and I also lead the service from time to time. I’ve also preached a few times, which has been a huge privilege. Serving at church has been incredibly formational in my relationship with God.

What is your biggest struggle?

I’m not sure how I can most effectively serve God in the future. I’m only 28 years old, so I’m not worried, but I’d like to find my niche and make my dent in the universe for God’s glory, so to speak. I’m working full-time in a trainee ministry role at the moment, but I’d like to go back to my previous role as a data scientist in the future, and then work on a side hustle.

What is your favorite book (and why)?

What’s Best Next by Matt Perman - the best book treatment of productivity from a God-honouring theological view, in my opinion.

Are you a Mac or a PC?

I’m a Mac

4 Likes

Welcome @Ajp123 :smile: Glad you’re here! And thank you for the most detailed course feedback I’ve ever seen :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @Ajp123, good to see you here as well😉

1 Like

@Ajp123 Great call on What’s Best Next. That book is beyond incredible. Have you read either of Matt Perman’s books @mikeschmitz? His writing is absolutely in the wheelhouse of this community.

1 Like

@mikeschmitz - My pleasure :smile:. I just read Conative Connection by Kathy Kolbe, and I think I might just be a Follow Thru / Fact Finder :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Mat - You too! When we all have a growth mindset, it’s no surprise to see the same people on many of these forums!

@bodiequirk - Great to see another Perman fan here. I really need to get onto his next book, Unstuck. Have you read it?

1 Like

Oh yeah, multiple times. It’s just as excellent as WBN.

1 Like

Definitely going to check out Matt Perman. Thanks for the suggestion!

I haven’t heard of the What’s Best Next book. I will need to check it out now…

Lots of good suggestions in this community

@bodiequirk I have read it, and I definitely appreciate the fact that he wrote it but I did have a few issues with it that @joebuhlig & I unpacked on Bookworm… and that’s ok, I’m sure there are plenty of people who will disagree on my perspective occasionally in Faith-Based Productivity :slight_smile: More stuff like that needs to exist. There’s room for different opinions (and discussion) on spiritual things! Too often we’re afraid to talk about our differences because we think it will be offensive, but it’s all in the presentation.

1 Like

@Ajp123, thank you for mentioning this book. I started reading it and I’m finding it to be really helpful in addressing what’s important to focus on.

1 Like

For the benefit of anyone interested, I’ll offer the following caveat to my praise for What’s Best Next by Perman. I really liked his treatment of the why behind productivity from a Christian perspective. However, I felt that his practical productivity advice left a fair bit to be desired. I agreed with some of it, but I felt that it was a bit too prescriptive for my liking. I also appreciated @mikeschmitz and @joebuhlig’s review on Bookworm!

Another book that offers a gospel-centred view of productivity is Tim Challies’ book Do More Better. A shorter read, and excellent theologically - in my opinion - but light-on in terms of practical advice.

2 Likes