Book Reading Habit

I’ve developed a book reading habit, much thanks to my husband @mikeschmitz

Last year I read 24 books and this year I wanted to continue the momentum. This goal required me to make a change in my daily routine. I decided to delete all social media off my iPhone (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook). This helped remove the mindless distraction of scrolling through “Infiniti pools” and dedicate 15-30 minutes each day reading. It’s amazing how quickly I can get through a book when I read just 30 minutes or less each day.

Does anyone else have a reading habit or desire to read more?

Mike and Joe, hosts of the Bookworm Podcast (https://bookworm.fm/) read a book every two weeks and hop on the microphone to record what they learned. This podcast was born from each of them wanting to read more, so they decided if they agreed to read a book every two weeks and talk about it, it would be a source of accountability. Well, three years later they’re still recording books every two weeks.

8 Likes

This has been a challenge for me. The discovery of audiobooks was a game changer for me.

1 Like

@charleshthomas I also love audiobooks, especially when I’m driving, cleaning, doing yard work or other chores. I still love physical books when I know I want to capture notes and ideas from the book.

What’s your favorite audiobook recently?

I alternate between fiction and non-fiction.

My fiction I just finished was the classic Treasure Island. It was great!

My non-fiction I just started is The Conversion Code.

I’ve been reading fiction books to my children, we made it through most of the Chronicles of Narnia books. I’d like to keep reading through the classics with them.

My wife and I have tried to align some of our reading to our children’s reading and some books they’re doing for the homeschool curriculum we use.

This is a list we’ve used for some of this, although many of these are geared toward older children.

That’s great, we homeschool too and are starting our first year of Classical Conversations this year!

Phenomenal! It’s a program that’s been a blessing to our family in a multitude of ways.

Have your children participated in the Essentials program for 4-6 graders?

Yes, I have one who has been through it and is now at the Challenge A level. My next oldest is in essentials for this coming year. The impact on communication skills was the biggest takeaway for my oldest. It really built up her confidence.

1 Like

Our oldest two will be in 4th and 6th grade, enrolled in Foundations and Essentials. So our oldest will only have one year before entering Challenge. Do you have my helpful tips for the program?

Awesome!

Just know it’s meant to be challenging. If there’s something that is difficult for Mom, Dad, and or student that happens to everyone and it will be fine.

I love reading! For a while I’ve had the habit of reading a non-fiction book for 30 minutes straight after my daily Bible reading and prayer routine. I also read as much as I can on public transport.

Shout-out to @mikeschmitz for convincing me to take notes while I’m reading. I’ve been following a similar system to his for a week, and I’m blown away by how much more I’m retaining from books!

My only issue at the moment is that I have too many books on my purchased-but-not-read and want-to-purchase lists. I do need to be careful that I don’t become materialistic in the form of hoarding books - whether paper or digital.

What non-fiction book are you on right now?

CC for the win! :hugs:

One thing to note about Bookworm, in the two years before we launched it, I managed to read about three books. That’s correct, three books in two years. And then I committed to 26 books in a year. :scream:

3 Likes

I’ve read about 20-24 book/year since ya’ll started bookworm too :). Before that it was less than 12/year… Bookworm podcast for the win!!!

I love to read and really love to collect books ; )

I’m not tied to reading a ‘number’ of books per year. It depends on the book I’m reading. Most are nonfiction and are picked because I’m trying to learn something. I enjoy philosophy so those readings go slower too. But if its classical literature, science fiction, biography, or productivity they can go quickly.

As to a habit, I read everyday, longer on the weekends. If reading a physical book always have a writing instrument close by for outlining or note taking. If on the Kindle, highlighting, along with copy into Ulysses.

2 Likes

Hey Stan! How exactly do you do that? Via the Kindle markups page? Or directly from the app? I just recently discovered the Notebook tab in the Kindle app collecting all highlights and comments.

I’d like to hear Stan’s answer, but for me I highlight and then go back later to pull into my note taking app of choice.

I think Rachel’s approach is best - to find time for reading you will have to turn something off (or down) and social media is what I started with. Specifically, I wanted more time for journaling and reading and it’s finally doable now that my Twitter account is closed. The trade was a good one: 3,000 followers for peace of mind, a couple of extra books completed and a more consistent journaling habit.

2 Likes